- Category: General
- Written by Minh-Tri Pham
- Hits: 2206
Minh-Tri Pham (pronounce?) is a computer vision researcher at the Computer Vision Group, Toshiba Research Europe Ltd in Cambridge, United Kingdom. His current main interest is developing algorithms for detecting objects in 3D using range sensors like depth cameras and laser scanners.
Prior to joining Toshiba, he worked at Surrey Space Centre for one year to develop algorithms for detecting rocks for Mars planetary rovers.
He graduated with an honored Bachelor degree and a PhD degree from Nanyang Technological University in Singapore in 2003 and 2009 respectively. His PhD thesis, titled "Principled Asymmetric Boosting Approaches to Rapid Training and Classification in Face Detection", focuses on asymmetric boosting and smart use of Haar-like features to improve the performance of face detectors. In 2007, Minh Tri and his supervisor, Tat-Jen Cham were one of only two first-second author pairings in the world to be awarded two prestigious oral presentations in CVPR'07 and ICCV'07, the two top-rank international conferences in computer vision. Minh Tri was awarded the PREMIA's 2nd best paper prize for their ICCV'07 paper, and two Travel Grants for their ICCV'07 and CVPR'08 papers, respectively. He was enlisted in Manquis' Who is Who in the World's 2009 Edition for his research work.
Minh Tri is keen on programming skills. When he was an undergraduate student at NTU, he won 8 prizes in international programming contests like ACM International Collegiate Programming Contests (ACM-ICPC), including three Champions and one First Runner-up. As a graduate student, he held Teaching Assistant positions in programming courses in C++ and Java. He coached NTU teams to participate in ACM-ICPC from 2003 to 2009. His students were awarded medals every year, and advanced to ACM-ICPC's World Final contests a couple of times.
- 2010-, Computer Vision Researcher, Cambridge Research Laboratory, Toshiba Research Europe Ltd, United Kingdom
- 2003-, Web Master, Vietnam-Hungary Association of Friendship
Past Work Experience
- 2009-2010, Research Fellow, Surrey Space Centre, University of Surrey, United Kingdom
- 2007-2009, Research Associate, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- 2002-2009, Coach, NTU ACM-ICPC Club, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- 2003, Software Engineer, Abacus International, Singapore
- 2001, Industrial Intern, Kent Ridge Digital Labs, Singapore -- now known as Institute for Infocomm Research
- 2003-2009, Ph.D., School of Computer Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- 1999-2003, B. Eng. (Comp. Eng.) (Hons.), School of Computer Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
2009, Subject of Biographical Record, Marquis Who's Who in the World, 2009 Edition.
2008, Travel Grant, IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, Anchorage, Alaska
2008, Second Prize, PREMIA's Best Student Paper in 2007 Award, Singapore
2007, Travel Grant, 11th IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
2003, Champion, Gigahertz Competition 2003, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
2003, Champion, Bitwise 2k3, an algorithm-intensive programming contest, Kharagpur, India [online]
2002, First Runner-up, Asia ACM International Collegiate Programming Contest, Dhaka, Bangladesh
2002, Champion, Bitwise 2k2, an algorithm-intensive programming contest, Kharagpur, India [online]
2001, Fifth Place, Asia ACM International Collegiate Programming Contest, Singapore
2000, Tenth Place, Asia ACM International Collegiate Programming Contest, Singapore
2000, Seventh Place, Asia ACM International Collegiate Programming Contest, Tokyo, Japan
2000, Master C Programmer, Brainbench Inc. [online]